Limerick City Council
- Visiting Limerick
- Press releases
- Your Council
- Our Services
- City Library
- City Museum
- City Gallery of Art
- City Archives
- Emergency Services
- Contact us
- Limerick Museum Online
- Museum Events
- Local History Resources
- Help us identify items
- Donations and Collecting
- Conservation of the City Walls
The Jim Kemmy Municipal Museum is currently situated in City Hall, Merchants' Quay. It is about a 10 minutes walk from the Tourist Office and 20 minutes from the rail and bus station. It is not readily accessible by public transport.
The museum was founded in 1906 and was opened to the public in 1916. Its original location was in the City Library, which was then in the Carnegie Building in Pery Square and the librarian of the day was its curator. The museum was closed to the public between 1974 and 1979, when it reopened in new premises in St. John’s Square, where it remained for 20 years. From 2000-2012 the museum was located in Castle lane, nr. King John's Castle. In September 2012 it moved to Istabraq Hall in City Hall on a temporary basis.
The Museum's collection illustrates the history of Limerick and its people. Its displays include archaeological artefacts, Limerick silver, Limerick lace, examples of local printing, cases on the struggle for independence and much more. The Museum's catalogue is available online; at http://museum.limerick.ie/ and go to catalogue browse or search options.
The Museum is owned and run by Limerick City Council and in 2000 it was renamed The Jim Kemmy Municipal Museum in honour of the local politician, former mayor and T.D. Larry Walsh, curator since 1977, has recently retired.
You may leave comments using the "help us help you" in the right hand side bar.
Limerick City Museum
Phone: (061) 417826
Fax: (061) 415266
Opening hours: Limerick City museum is closed at present. We will be opening on a temporary basis in Istabraq Hall inside City Hall in late October
Address: Limerick City Museum
The Local Authorities Museum Website.
Limerick City Library has many online resources for local history; there is also a full catalogue of the books on its main website. For local studies go to:
Limerick City Archives has a large collection of material relating to its parent body - Limerick City Council, and it has also collected archive material relating to older administrations including Limerick Union, Limerick Rural District Council, private papers and collections relating to the commercial and cultural aspects of life in Limerick City.
The Thomond Historical and Archaeological Society runs a full series of lectures and outings of historic interest throughout the year.
The Hunt Museum is one of Ireland's greatest private collections of art and antiquities, dating from the Neolithic to the 20th Century, including works by Renoir, Picasso and Yeats
Limerick Civic Trust was formally inaugurated at a public meeting on 17 February 1983. It was Ireland’s first Civic Trust. It is a self-funding Conservation Society, which initiates and undertakes a programme of projects for the general improvements of Limerick’s environment in conjunction with local authorities, state agencies and other interested parties. It is an independent non profit making voluntary society and is registered as a charity.
Limerick County Library
Limerick City Museum
View Limerick City Council in a larger map