Great Munster Fair Commissioners, 1852-1912 (from microfilm)

Reference code: LK/GMF

Extent: 4 Volumes

Scope & Content

The Great Munster Fair Act became law on 28th May 1852.  It provided for the holding of an annual fair in the ‘Townland of Singland, Parish of S. Patrick’ on a site that is still known as the Fairgreen.  A body known as the Commissioners of the Great Munster Fair was established, and they had a separate corporate existence, perpetual succession and a common seal, in the manner of a borough corporation.  The ex-officio commissioners included the Mayor of Limerick, the President of the Chamber of Commerce, the Chairman of the Board of Guardians of Limerick Poor Law Union, and the sitting MPs for Limerick City and county.  The grand juries of counties Limerick, Cork , Kerry, Clare, and both Ridings of Tipperary each elected six commissioners annually. 

                                                         

The Commissioners met in Limerickcity or county as often as they wished, and had the power to appoint a clerk, treasurer or other officers.  They could make bye-laws, borrow money, and purchase land.  They administered the Great Munster Fair, and derived their income from tolls levied there. In 1905 the management of the Great Munster Fair was transferred from the Commissioners to Limerick County Council

The collection consists of two commissioners minute books, which date 1852 to 1912, a mortgage register and an account book.

Subjects

Creator(s)

Commissioners of the Great Munster Fair

Biographical / Historical Note

The Great Munster Fair Act became law on 28th May 1852. It provided for the holding of an annual fair in the ‘Townland of Singland, Parish of S. Patrick' on a site that is still known as the Fairgreen. A body known as the commissioners of the Great Munster Fair was established, and they had a separate corporate existence, perpetual succession and a common seal, in the manner of a borough corporation. The ex-officio commissioners included the Mayor of Limerick, the President of the Chamber of Commerce, the Chairman of the Board of Guardians of Limerick Poor Law Union, and the sitting MPs for Limerick city and county. The grand juries of counties Limerick, Cork, Kerry, Clare, and both Ridings of Tipperary each elected six commissioners annually.

 

The Commissioners met in Limerick city or county as often as they wished, and had the power to appoint a clerk, treasurer or other officers. They could make bye-laws, borrow money, and purchase land. They administered the Great Munster Fair, and derived their income from tolls levied there.

 

In 1905 the management of the Great Munster Fair was transferred from the Commissioners to Limerick County Council.

Adminstrative Information

Access Restrictions: N/A

Use Restrictions: N.A.

Related Materials: 

LA/ P26 Limerick Market Trustees held by Limerick City Archives

 

LK/  Limerick County Council Archives held by Limerick County Archives

 

 

 

 


Collection Content


DjVu

DjVu viewer is required to view and print files in DjVu format. DjVu (pronounced "déjà vu") is a digital document format with advanced compression technology and high performance value. DjVu allows for the distribution on the Internet and on DVD of very high resolution images of scanned documents, digital documents, and photographs. DjVu viewers are available for the web browser, the desktop, and PDA devices.

You must have administrative rights to your PC in order to install this plugin. Please contact your IT department if you encounter any issues.

Icon download djvu plugin

A. Commissioners Minute Books (1852-1912)

Minute books of the Commissioners of the Great Munster Fair. Between 23 June 1852 and 4 October 1854 meetings were held weekly or fortnightly. Subsequently meetings only held two or three times annually. Minutes record the date, commissioners present, resolutions passed, and correspondence received. Topics discussed include purchase of site for fair ground, date of and advertising of fairs, financial position, levying of tolls, and role of county council

Extent: 2 Volumes

   GMF-1. 23 June 1852-4 September 1867 (DjVu - 5.4 Mb)
    23 June 1852-4 September 1867
Extent: c. 130 pp
Access Rules: N.A.


   GMF-2. 2 April 1867-13 January 1912 (DjVu - 4.0 Mb)
    2 April 1867-13 January 1912
Extent: c. 120 pp
Access Rules: N.A.


B. Mortgage Book (1852-1855)

   GMF-3. Great Munster Fair Mortgages, 24 November 1852-2 March 1855 (DjVu - 9.8 Mb)
    Great Munster Fair Mortgages consisting of counterparts of Deeds of Mortgages for £50 agreed between the Commissioners and various parties. The counterpart of the deed is on a pre-printed form, with the name of the mortgagee, terms and conditions of mortgage, and date mortgage signed. Also recorded details regarding subsequent transfers of the mortgage including date transferred, by whom transferred, to whom transferred, and observations. Includes mortgages numbered one to 140.
Extent: c. 140 pp
Access Rules: N.A.


C. Account Book (1870-1909)

   GMF-4. Volume consisting of accounts of the Great Munster Fair Commissioners., 28 April 1870-30 June 1909 (DjVu - 13.3 Mb)
    Volume consisting of accounts of the Great Munster Fair Commissioners. Includes ordinary expenditure account, account with the provincial bank and debenture holders, interest account, and accounts of Munster Fair mortgage holders. Includes comments regarding transfer of mortgage deeds, and observations made by auditors. Includes index to accounts. Includes accounts of Lord Massey, Henry Maunsell, William Peacocke, Catherine Russell, and Susan Hunt (representatives of). The ordinary (or general) expenditure account includes items such as 'postage circulars as to additional fairs and advertisements', 'expenses of collecting toll at Blackboy Gate', 'herdsman half year salary', and 'William B Fitt costs of advertising grazing'
Extent: c. 140 ff
Access Rules: N.A.


Last update:22/02/2013

Translate

Feedback